Wednesday 21 September 2011

Fuel Injector Cleaning?

i recently got an oil change and the technician recommended that my fuel injector be flushed. After asking a few other people that sem knowledgeable on this subject, I have equal amounts of opinions that fuel injector flushes are the way to go, or I could add fuel injector cleaner to my gas tank every few fill ups.



What is the consensus on this issue? Does anyone have any recommendations?



Not that it should make a difference, but I own a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT.



Thanks in advance,



ScottFuel Injector Cleaning?the flush that your mechanic has available to him is much stronger than what you can buy and put in your tank, and can often fix rough running problems without the cost of disassembly and parts replacement, however on a vehicle that is not experiencing problems a dose of name brand injector cleaner in the tank every couple months is a more logical approach
Fuel Injector Cleaning?
i recommend doing a motor vac. the fuel additives never really work. motor vac is a consentrate cleaner they run the motor off of this concentrate, this cleans the entire intake system and any carbon biuld up on the cyclinder walls. you can also use the ones that attach to your fuel intake. they are pretty good.
Fuel Injector Cleaning?
The technician was trying to get you to pay for more service than necessary. His job is to get as much money from you as possible - maximize his profits. Fuel injector flush? He'll just probably remove it, clean it with a cleaning agent and put it back in for about $80. If you car is running fine and passes emissions, you don't need a flush (unless you feel good about flushing money down a toilet).



I use the %26quot;on condition%26quot; maintenance plan. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Only fix what's broke when it's condition indicates that something is wrong.



I've got 180k on my truck, never had a transmission flush - still factory transmission. Never had a tune up - good mileage - passes emissions every year. Never had a radiator flush - doesn't overheat - one water pump since I've owned it. I've just recently put new brakes on the front axle - I usually get about 80k on a set of brakes. Yep. I'm bragging!