Monday 17 October 2011

91 MR2 won't start. I've changed fuel pump, tank, filter, fuel pressure regulator, injectors. Now what?

Just hoping some Toyota veteran can jump in and yell: %26quot;Try THIS Next!%26quot;.

I have this NA 91 that was sitting for 6 years and the pump was seized in the original tank. I changed the pump, tank and lines on the tank. I put fresh gas in the tank. It started for about 20 minutes and I turned it off. Started it again for about 5 minutes. Turned it off and it wouldnt start after that. It starts with starting fluid..and then turns off immediately after the starting fluid burns off.



I changed the filter. No Start. Starting fluid...starts and burns it off and turns off.



I changed the fuel pressure regulator and the injectors. Still a no go.



Starting fluid into intake, it starts still, but burns off.



I'm wondering if the ECU is the culprit.



I'm Ready to get this thing on the road and getting frustrated.



Any Ideas?91 MR2 won't start. I've changed fuel pump, tank, filter, fuel pressure regulator, injectors. Now what?It has to be a fuel issue due to that fact that it'll start with starting fluid, but dies after it burns it. Don't know much to tell you beyond that, but hopefully it'll help confirm what everyone else says, or what you were already thinking.



I hate fuel problems.
91 MR2 won't start. I've changed fuel pump, tank, filter, fuel pressure regulator, injectors. Now what?
did you check fuel filter and filter on the new pump?
91 MR2 won't start. I've changed fuel pump, tank, filter, fuel pressure regulator, injectors. Now what?
Well it is a fuel problem. The only things on the list that you have not tired that I can thing of are the:

Fuel pump relay

Ignition switch contacts

The MAF and ECM can kind of be ruled out because it will not start. When the car is started it switches over to a different routine that by passes the ECM for control of the fuel pump.

The fuel pump relay is pretty cheap compared to a lot of things (http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.鈥?/a>

The ignition switch is pretty high.

You could rig a 12 volt light to insert into the place that the activating current goes on the relay plug and see if you have current there when the car is cranked or in the run position. If it lights then you know it is not the switch. Also a jumper could be used (with a fuse) to by pass the relay for testing.

One other thing, sometime when a car has been sitting for some time the fuel filter gets plugged up real fast. I went through three on one car before I got to where the filter was not plugging up well enough to drive any distance at all. So maybe check the %26quot;sock%26quot; filter in the tank.
you forgot something. did you bleed the air out after you replaced all that stuff.
  • xp
  • connect laptop to a wireless router
  •