Friday 7 October 2011

Water in my gas tank? Or Need to change fuel filter?

I filled up at a BP gas station yesterday. Then I went on with my day as normal drove to school, came home, went to the store. Then soon I went to my relatives house thats maybe a few blocks away. As I turned to go on my street I noticed my car was cutting off and I thought okay its once prob wont happen again. And it did it again as I got on my driveway. Then I realized I forgot to buy something so I had to leave to the store. As I was waiting on a red light at about 9PM the car turned off (this hasnt happend for maybe 2 years when there was water in the tank) When I turned it back on it turned off again. I barley go over the intersection so I then pulled over and let it run a little while pushing on the gas pedal a bit. then it was fine after this pop from the muffler. Then when i was coming home it happend again this time i didnt make it over the intersection. The car was cutting off. =/ So I went to the gas station bought a fuel injector and the best gas there was. after racing the engine to get the good gas to the engine it wasnt any help. I stalled about 5 times before I got home. I thought maybe the alternator was going bad but I checked it and it was fine. Please help =/ I had to stay home today becuase I had no way of getting to my Ortho App or school =/



Car Model: 1986 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL 8cyl

It's in good shape too. Never had a problem with anything. =/Water in my gas tank? Or Need to change fuel filter?This car could have two fuel pumps side by side underneath just in front of the fuel tank, if one of these has failed it can cause this problem due to low fuel pressure. But before replacing either of them check the wiring connectors to them, older mercs have been known to have the terminals corrode.
Water in my gas tank? Or Need to change fuel filter?
you should have the fuel filter changed. Its the easiest and the first thing to scratch off the list. Maybe have the fuel pump checked out? Mercedes are a expensive car and the parts aren't cheap, so be wise as to what you have checked out.
Water in my gas tank? Or Need to change fuel filter?
replace the fuel filter its a cheep fix on most cars and an easy one too!
change the fuel filter and throw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank. if you got water then that should take care of it. by the way here,s a little hint ! when you see a tanker truck at the gas station filling the tanks go somewhere else because when he,s filling the tanks he,s stiring up the dirt in the tanks and your getting the dirt. i know there are filters to filter the dirt but don,t filter all the dirt and your getting it.
If this happened just after you got the gas, it's probably contaminated with little water in gas. It doesn't take much water in gas to cause sputtering problems or even stop the car completely from running.

If it runs at all, then what you should do is go to walmart or auto parts store like napa or Autozone, get bottle of %26quot;gas antifreeze%26quot;, or even the cheap STP gas additive. What the gas antifreeze does or the STP, is that it absorbs the water in the fuel, so that it can be burned off effectively.

In fact, a couple bottles won't hurt putting into one tank just to be sure.



HOWEVER...........you say you bought some fuel injector stuff, probably the gas additive. So that should have taken care of any tiny bits of water if it was the problem. so then you do consider the fuel filter.

Uh.....this isn't a diesel Mercedes, is it?
if you think you got water add a bottle or two of fuel treatment first and then maybe replace fuel filter which wouldnt get water out just trash you either have to add fuel treatment or drain tank to get water out and always best to keep tank more ful and not run it low less fuel more chances of tank sweating which get s you water as well
Change the filter and add some gasoline antifreeze (it helps the water to mix in with the gas). Gas filters are not that expensive.

Also get the thing tuned up, unless you know for sure the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are new. Spark plug wires only last a few years, many mechanics charge for new caps, and such and never put them in. This is the time of year when weak ignition wires show themselves if you live in an area with a lot of rain or high humidity.

With it being a 86, all of these things should be within the ability of being done in a driveway.