Wednesday 26 October 2011

Could a spark plug cause a car to die?

my friend has a 2001 Grand Am that dies when driving over 50 mph. He has changed the fuel pump and I believe the fuel injector. His engine light is on and computer tests show problems with the #3 spark plug. He seems to think that this was also changed before. Could this be his problem? or the spark plug wires?Could a spark plug cause a car to die?I'd say if the computer says that that is the problem... then First check to see if the plug is clean and making a good connection, and see what happends if you replace the plug with another and see what the computer says is wrong with it (replace #1 with #3 and see if the computer says it is still #3 or if #1 is not working.... Then you might be able to deduce what is wrong with it on the spark plug issue... As far as dying, I haven't heard of one spark plug causing a car to die, but I'm not a mechanic by trade, so I wouldn't put it past that it could need all spark plugs at optimum to work at that speed. I'd see what happends after the spark plug/ wires get replaced and see if that fixes the problem.
Could a spark plug cause a car to die?
ask your friend if he has set the gap on the spark plug properly and to also change out the plug wires and the distributor and cap. If there is not enough spark this Could cause the enigne to die, although a car can run with one plug failing. Has he also changed the in-line fuel filter???



Let me know...
Could a spark plug cause a car to die?
Has he checked to electronic ignition. I had the same problem and when I changed it and replaced the wires and plugs... it went away. If it's a 6 cinlinder... the ignition is in the front of the engine. You will see the plug wires coming from it to the plugs. You might have up to 3 sets of ignitions. They are about $150.00 each. Good luck !