Friday 7 October 2011

Why Am I Experiencing Loss of Full Potential When Accelerating? Fuel Injector / Fuel Pressure Issue? '95 Ram?

95 Ram 1500, 5.2/318, 2x4, 184000 miles.



It feels like my truck doesn't put out as much power as it should. I can apply the accelerator sometimes and it feels like my truck doesn't want to go any faster, then if I push just a little closer to the floor it jumps to 3200 RPMs and takes off (and this happens without going fully to the floor) but still doesn't feel like a V8. At first I thought that maybe the accelerator cable might be stretched or something so I replaced that and nothing changed. I have even temporarily rigged up the accelerator cable from inside so that it will give more gas when I apply less pressure - it seemed to help but was a temporary experiment. I tested all the vacuum lines that I could find and they seemed to be ok except for 2 door actuators on the a/c unit. Replaced them both and are now holding vacuum. The throttle body looks clean and no valves in it appear to stick. It doesn't idle erratically and the RPMs appear to be normal otherwise. I would think that fuel filter would cause more issues and affect the idling. If fuel pump was going I think It would feel like the truck was going to die at a stop. Could this be caused by fuel injectors?



Sorry this is long but I wanted to make sure you knew everything. Thanks for reading and for helping.Why Am I Experiencing Loss of Full Potential When Accelerating? Fuel Injector / Fuel Pressure Issue? '95 Ram?I have a 97 and a 99 Ram. This sounds very familiar, and may even act like the trans is slipping? The most common problem? A blocked Catalytic converter. To check it, hit it with your fist to see if it rattles. The ceramic %26quot;honey comb%26quot; starts to break apart blocking the exhaust. This causes the computer to go wacky on you. The computer controls the engine and the trans. It will progressively get worse until the check engine light comes on from the O2 sensor. My 97 got so bad, it only went 30mph with the pedal to the floor. Allot of good transmissions have been replaced because of this.

Good luck!
Why Am I Experiencing Loss of Full Potential When Accelerating? Fuel Injector / Fuel Pressure Issue? '95 Ram?
cheak your throtle position sensor